Frequently Asked Questions
What Grows well in clay soil?
If the soil is properly amended and the plant material watered accordingly, most varieties will perform well in clay soils.
How often should I water _________ ?
- Shrubs should be watered weekly until established, then as weather dictates.
- Annuals should be watered two or three times a day and maybe even more when the weather is very warm.
- Perennials should be watered weekly until established and then as weather dictates.
- Trees should be watered weekly until established and then as weather dictates.
- Evergreens should be watered weekly until established, then as weather dictates, also water well right before a hard frost.
How often should I fertilize _________ ?
- Shrubs should be fertilized annually with a slow release granular fertilizer.
- Annuals should be fertilized every watering with a water soluble fertilizer.
- Perennials should be fertilized annually with a slow release granular fertilizer.
- Trees should be fertilized annually with a slow release granular fertilizer.
- Evergreens should be fertilized annually with a slow release granular fertilizer, usually one on the acidic side.
When is the best time to transplant?
The best time to transplant Shrubs, Perennials, Trees, and Evergreens would be early spring or fall. If transplanting during hot weather, be sure to water accordingly.
Should I apply root stimulator when I plant trees and shrubs?
Yes. Root Stimulator is actually good to use when planting perennials, shrubs, trees, and house plants. Root Stimulator helps to stimilate early root formation and stronger root development. Root Stimulator also helps reduce transplant shock and promotes greener, more vigorous plants. Please make sure to read and follow label directions.
When is the best time to plant?
Usually April thru mid November for nursery stock, May thru the summer for annuals and May thru October for perennials. Weather may shorten or lengthen these time periods.
What is your warranty on your plant material?
Effective April 1, 2014 Stuart's Garden Centers will guarantee all shrubs and trees from the date of purchase through November 15th of that same year. Although, if we do the planting for you, your trees and shrubs will have a 2 year warranty. We do not guarantee: Perennials, Annuals or Roses.
What do I feed my Endless Summer Hydrangea to keep it blue?
You can use an acid based fertilizer such as Aluminum Sulphate.
Are Mums and Asters hardy in this area?
Cutting Mums and Asters back in the fall reduces their hardiness. If they are cut back after the temperatures warm in the spring, their survival rate is higher.
How late in the season can I plant Shrubs, Perennials, and Evergreens?
Usually we get a hard freeze mid to late November. It's safe to plant until that hard freeze point.
What kind of plant material is low maintenance?
Just to name a few; Spreading Junipers, Hostas, Ornamental Grasses, some Viburnums, Yews, and Spireas
What Shrubs flower the longest?
Potentillas, Spireas, and Weigelas have longer bloom times.
Are there any plants that are deer proof?
We suggest the following website for a listing of plant material that would be deer proof. http://njaes.rutgers.edu/deerresistance/
I am only here on the weekends - so what can I plant that won't require much care when I am not here??
Initially, new planted material will need weekly watering. Once established, most perennials and nursery stock will be just fine. Annual plantings will generally always need to be watered during the week.
What flowers work well in the shade?
Just to name a few; Impatients, Begonias, Torenia, Astilbes, Forget-Me-Nots, Fuchsia, Hosta, Coral Bells, and Ferns.